Wednesday, November 4, 2009

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 21 - HARRY POTTER STAFF PREVIEW

MORNING:

- Walker has a “bed wetting” incident. Add changing Walker’s bedding to my list of normal regular Wednesday tasks.

- Head into the office late as I need to make a stop at my parents to switch out cars with my dad. I’ve been having an issue with the antifreeze running low every couple of weeks and he’s going to look into it for me AND get my car inspected. Yeah, Daddy!


WORK:

- Happened to see on Facebook that an old coworker of mine was interested in coming to the Harry Potter staff preview that was happening that evening. I had an extra ticket, so I called her and asked if she wanted to join us.

- Go outside…luckily it’s a nice day…to review some sample lettering that a sign vendor has hung on the side of the Museum so we can decide on size and style for some new recognition naming for the Planetarium.

- Finalize a bunch of “The Science Behind…” projects as the event is only two days away.

- Took a trip down to the Café to get coffee and a sweet. Came across a Live Animal Center employee standing around with a great horned owl...yup, it's moments like that when it'd cool to work at the Museum of Science. The owl was very cool.

- 4:57: Packed up and headed out to pick up my mom and Caden to bring them back to the Museum to see Harry Potter: The Exhibition.


AFTER WORK:

- Got to my parents and picked up my mom and Caden and headed back into town.


Photo of the Harry Potter window graphics being installed on the Museum's lobby windows.

- Met up with Andrea, my old coworker, and we hung out chatting with other Museumers while we waiting for Scott and Walker to arrive.


Photo of the Chess Piece that Ron road in the first HP movie. Photo by Andrea.

- Headed up to the exhibit for our 8:00 viewing. It starts with the Sorting Hat ritual. They ask for volunteers to try on the hat and be sorted. I volunteered Scott. The “witch” on the stage asked “And what house do you think you belong in?” Scott confidently says “Gryffindor”. The Hat makes it’s declaration and low-and-behold, he IS a Gryffindor! Wow! ;) We all cheered.

- The Harry Potter exhibit is very cool. The displays are GREAT and the costumes are amazing. The group that made the exhibit did a really great job. All the "behind-the-scenes" things I've had to struggle with have been pain, but the exhibit itself is really wonderful and I'd highly recommend it.

- Walker enjoyed the "interactive" parts of the exhibit like pulling the Mandrakes out of the pots and throwing quaffles. It was a little on the crowded side, so it was kind of hard for him to see alot of the stuff. Besides the interactives, I think his favorite part was watching the movie clips that they showed in "frames" around the exhibit. Caden wasn’t impressed, though well behaved.


© Chris Hollo, Hollo Photographics, Inc. Kids pulling a Mandrake in the Herbology area of the exhibit.

- The exhibit empties out into the exhibit store and we looked around it. Lots of very cool items. Walker wanted something, but he doesn't really know Harry Potter that well. We ended up with a kit where you build a castle out of "cards" and it came with a little Harry figure. He really just wanted the Harry figure.

- We all headed home and I took the boys and my mom and Scott was by himself so he could stop and pick up something for him and I to have for dinner. There was road construction happening, so what should have taken 15 minutes took a half hour...but it could have been worse. I dropped my mom off at home and headed home myself. Both boys had fallen asleep in the car during the ride. I brought Caden in first, but he ended up waking up. I left him in the living room crying while I went back out to the car to get a sleeping Walker. He stayed asleep and I put him in his bed. I went back to Caden, gave him a bottle and put him to bed.

- Scott got home around 10:30 and had dinner salads. We sat on the couch and ate them while we watched the end of CSI: NY and then I put my head down and fell asleep...I think it was 11:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment