Friday, November 27, 2009

Thursday 11/26/09 - THANKSGIVING...and into Black Friday

Thanksgiving morning...filled with baking and decorating cookies, a special breakfast treat, and parade watching. It was the perfect Thanksgiving morning. The kind I've been hoping for for many years. It reminded me of Thanksgiving mornings from my childhood. My mom would be preparing the turkey dinner and I'd be helping, and we'd both be watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. The only thing that was missing was the smell of turkey in the oven. It was replaced by the smell of cookies and later baked ziti...as mom was still the one cooking the turkey, but at her own house.

Walker was excited to put on his red robot apron and help me mix up the ingredients for cookies. Then he helped me make some cinnamon twists for breakfast. After we were done eating, we started the decorating process of the Turkey-Hand Cookies we had baked the night before. We sat at the kitchen table watching Thanksgiving Day parade...Walker getting super excited about all the characters that he knew: Dora, Spiderman, Mickey Mouse, Elmo...and decorated the turkeys just as they showed on Nick Jr (which Walker has seen a couple of dozen times over the past months and new all the steps by heart). He was very excited that they came out just the way there were on TV. I was excited to have someone to watch the parade with (Scott would rather sleep in then get up to watch a parade on TV).




My favorite part of the Parade is always the arrival of Santa, and now with kids and see their excitement, it's even better. I have to admit that I get emotional when I see Walker's bright smile and twinkling eyes whenever he sees the Man In Red.

After the baking was done. Scott put the boys into the tub and I whipped up a batch of baked ziti and got myself dressed. Scott jumped into the shower and then we packed everything up and headed over to my parents to have Thanksgiving dinner with the rest of the family.

Whenever anyone asks me how my holiday was, I usually respond in the same way: "Lots of food, Lots of people. Lots of noise." And this year was no different.

There is ALWAYS WAY TOO MUCH food at our family holiday dinners...but that is the way we love it. Everything was yummy, and there was PLENTY for seconds...and even some to take home for 3rds and 4ths.

For dinner it's my parents, Scott's mom, my sister Kellie and her family of 7, my brother Ray, Scott, myself, and our boys. We were able to fit everyone around the table with the exception of 4 of the little ones at a card table next to the dinning room table.

After dinner my sister Korie comes over with her husband and 3 girls, as well as my Aunt Karin and her granddaughter and her boys may pop in at some point. This year my cousin's Beverly and her daughter and grandson joined in on the fun.

Of course, with that many people, it's going to be NOISY! And it's not just from the dozen or so kids running around the screaming. My family has ALWAYS been loud: "COLIN! THERE IS TURKEY JUICE DRIPPING EVERYWHERE!", "JESUE, CAN'T THEY MAKE A FRIGGIN' FIRST DOWN?!", "DAD, WILL YOU JUST RELAX!", "NO! DON'T BRING ROOTBEER INTO THE LIVING ROOM, YOU'LL SPILL IT!!!"...you get the idea. It's just always loud, but I wouldn't want it any other way. The only thing I would remove is the arguments that always seem to pop up because someone gets on someone's nerves at some point. At least we got through the day without any tears, food throwing, or door slamming (well, the little one's are always slamming doors, but that doesn't count).

We finally called it a day and headed home about 8:00. The boys were getting VERY tired and pretty cranky. Walker still isn't 100% and we think Caden is now coming down with something.

We had brought two cars, just in case the boys became too cranky earlier in the day and then Scott could bring them home. Scott took Caden and I took Walker. Walker and I got home first as Scott had to stop for coffee...I desperately needed one as well.

I got Walker into his PJs and settled him watching TV while I started cleaning up the mess I had made in the kitchen that morning. Scott got home with Caden and got him ready for bed. Caden went down and then we let Walker stay up for a little longer. Scott gave him his meds and then read him a story before tucking him into bed.

Finally, the two of us crashed on the couch and enjoyed the quiet of the house...well, until Walker started hacking really badly and I went in and checked on him. I gave him some water and he seemed to settle back down. I'm really eager for this sickness to pass. I feel so bad for him.

I returned to the living room. Set my cell phone for 2:30 as I was playing with the idea of going out to Old Navy at 3:00 to partake in the Black Friday madness. And then I was asleep.

The alarm went off at 2:30. Scott was playing a video game. I turned off the alarm and tried to decide if I REALLY did want to go out. I got up and brushed my teeth and decided that "Yeah, I'm awake" and decided to be one of the "crazies" out on the road in the middle of the night. Scott thought I was crazy, but "whatever mad me happy, just don't wake up the kids."

http://www.gobblepalooza.com/?utm_source=eventlineup&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=gobblepalooza



I got to the Old Navy in Hingham just after 3:00am. The parking lot was PACKED! This Old Navy is sort of out of the way and not close by any other shopping areas, so I was hoping it wouldn't be too busy...I guess the other were probably busier.

I picked up Christmas gifts for my 8 nieces and nephews and even got a pair of sweat pants for myself and it came to less than $70. I felt it was a successful trip.

I think I was in line longer than I was actually shopping, but what can you do. I came all the way out, so I had to just deal with it. Luckily there were some friendly people in line with me and we chatted to pass the time. A girl actually passed out while we all waiting. It was 4 am and the Hingham emergency crew flooded into the store. There had to be about 8 guys for 1 girl. The women behind me said "Slow night in Hingham." I said "you know, when someone passes out, they tell you to give them air. Why is it that 8 firefighters are gathered around her in the middle of a bunch of clothing racks?" LOL! I really do think they were bored. Maybe they were just eager to see the Black Friday Craziness themselves. They walked the girl out. I think she just needed some air.

I got home just before 5am and crawled right back into bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment